A NATION-WIDE CRISIS FACES OUR FOSTER YOUTH
- Over 15,000 children were in foster care in Illinois last year.
- 573 OF THOSE CHILDREN WERE IN FOSTER CARE IN LAKE COUNTY ALONE.
- The average child spends nearly 2 years in foster care
- By 18, many of these children have lived in multiple homes, attended an average of 9 different schools and worked with 7 different social workers.
- The disruption and change in the child welfare system traumatized youths when it is intended to protect them.
Click to enlarge
CITIZEN VOLUNTEERS ARE THE LOCAL SOLUTION
- 482 abused and neglected children have a Lake County CASA volunteer speaking up for their best interests.
- Children with a CASA spend 7.5 fewer months in foster care.
- New children enter the system every week due to abuse or neglect.
- CASA Lake County aims to serve every child in need of an advocate.
BRIGHTER FUTURES FOR EVERY CHILD
- One year of CASA advocacy costs less than one month of foster care.
- CASAs help foster children find safe, permanent homes.
- A child with a CASA is half as likely to re-enter the foster care system.
- With a CASA as an educational advocate, a child in foster care is more likely to succeed in school and beyond.
Child Welfare Statistics from Child Welfare Information Gateway
Intro to Foster Care from Foster Club
CASA Statistics and Outcomes from National CASA Association